Sunday, June 7, 2009

From One Strange Way of Eating to Another...


More Weird Food: Minced Poached Eggs and Turkey
 
So today I've been a little more sore from the surgery. It's been 12 days, and I think I probably overdid it yesterday, trying to help my mom with housework, carrying the dog around, and generally throwing caution to the wind. This habit I have of being lassez faire is going to haunt me for the rest of my life. I've always been one to push the limits of the rules (especially silly ones), and this always catches up with me in the end. Today I am experimenting with pureed food. Since I keep having trouble getting enough protein in, I thought I'd try a meat and egg breakfast.
  • First I poached 2 eggs. I use Fusionbrands Poach Pods when I make poached eggs. They are the easiest and neatest way to make poached eggs. Just crack your eggs into the little silicone cups and set them in a pan filled with about 2 inches of water. Then cover. Cook for at least 4 minutes, I like them pretty cooked, so I go 5 minutes. Then lift them out of the water.  
  • Take a knife and run around the edges of the egg to loosen it, and then slide them into your bowl. The pods are super easy to keep clean, and work better than any of the little electronic gadgets that I've tried. 

  • Once you have your poached eggs, you can cut or chop them up until they are in tiny pieces. Some of you might want to put them in the Magic Bullet Express High-Speed Blender when they are cooked instead of cutting them up, but for me, cutting them works fine.

  • Now you can eat them. I eat mine with a couple of slices of deli delight turkey and use the turkey slices like bread to get the egg yellow up. Remember to chew the turkey like crazy and take very small bites if you are in the pureed food stage.
This meal works fine for breakfast or lunch and is heavy on the protien, since each egg has 7 grams and the turkey has about 2 grams.  View blog reactions

No comments: